Xarelto is a drug designed to help people with atrial fibrillation (AFib) and are at risk of blood clots forming in their heart. This blood clot can make its way to the brain which can cause a stroke. Xarelto is meant to lower the chances of a person suffering from a stroke by preventing clots from forming. Xarelto is also known as Rivaroxaban, and is an anticoagulant that was designed and manufactured by Bayer and Johnson & Johnson. Rivaroxaban is fashioned to restrict Factor Xa. Factor Xa blocks the intrinsic and extrinsic pathway of blood clotting, which also stops the formation of thrombin and development of thrombi.
The FDA’s Response To Xarelto
Xarelto was certified for use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the purposes of lowering the potential of blood clots from forming in individuals who have had hip or knee replacement surgery. The second approved use of Xarelto by the FDA, has been mentioned above, and that is to prevent blood clots from forming in people with an irregular heart beat (AFib). It has also been certified for use as a treatment for people who are suffering from deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
However, regardless of this initial approval of Xarelto by the FDA, there have been two “black box warnings” communicated by the FDA about Xarelto. A black box warning is the strictest warning that the FDA can give to a drug. A black box warning also means that the FDA has sufficient evidence of the dangers linked to the drug at hand. Here are some of the warnings that the FDA has issued regarding Xarelto:
- August 2013: A warning was sent out stating that individuals who abruptly stopped taking Xarelto were putting themselves in danger of an increased potential of blood clots, DVT and epidural/spinal hematoma.
- January 2014: This warning also included that there is knowledge of no known antidote for Xarelto should there be a need to reverse the effects of the drug. Other blood thinners allow vitamin K to be administered in their make up, in order to reverse the effects of the blood thinner. Xarelto’s make up does not make this possible since it blocks Thrombin.
- March 2014: A very strict warning was given due to the FDA acquiring enough evidence that Xarelto causes severe injury in patients who were going to have an epidural or spinal puncture. This warning specified that if such a procedure is necessary, it is advised that the person waits until Xarelto has been completely eliminated out of their system.
- December 2014: The latest warning from the FDA has stated that Xarelto causes low blood platelet count, which is also referred to as thrombocytopenia.
Drugs That Should Not Be Taken With Xarelto
An interaction between two medications may or may not always cause a negative reaction, but with regard to Xarelto, the FDA circulated a warning noting that the drug should not be used in circumstances where the person is already using one of the following drugs:
- St. John’s wort
It is always prudent to check with your doctor about the medications you are taking and how they interact with each other. If these and other medications are being taken with Xarelto check with your doctor in order to prevent any adverse effects from occurring.
To find out more about the negative effects Xarelto can have, please click here.
Adverse Events Linked To Xarelto In New Hampshire
The most recently recorded population figure of New Hampshire is 1,326,813. A comparison of this number with the sum total of scripts written for Xarelto in all of America was made in order to come up with the number of individuals living in New Hampshire who have been prescribed or are using Xarelto. Our calculations reveal that 45,752 New Hampshire residents are using Xarelto. We went a step further to calculate the number of people who have been affected negatively by using Xarelto. The total of Xarelto negatively affected people in New Hampshire is 778.
We also looked at the five dominant cities in New Hampshire in order to determine the sum total of people who have used Xarelto and have experienced adverse effects. New Hampshire’s five dominant cities are:
- Manchester- 109,565 population
- Nashua- 86,494 population
- Concord- 42,695 population
- East Concord- 42,605 population
- Derry Village- 34,539 population
From these population figures, these are the number of estimated people who have suffered adverse effects due to Xarelto usage:
- Manchester- 64
- Nashua- 51
- Concord- 25
- East Concord- 25
- Derry Village- 20
Knowing If You Have A Lawsuit
Xarelto is a drug that has no known reversal antidote and as such, many people have endured terrible internal bleeding incidents that in some cases have led to death. If you or someone close to you was administered Xarelto and ended up suffering severe internal bleeding injuries that ended in a stroke or brain hemorrhage among other things, then it is very possible you have the right to file a claim against the makers of Xarelto.
Who Are The New Hampshire Xarelto Advocates?
Our Xarelto advocates at Osborne & Associates come equipped with knowledge and skills in how to deal with large pharmaceuticals. Our attorneys will fight for your justice. We encourage you to contact us at your earliest convenience if you are of the understanding that may have a claim against Bayer and Johnson & Johnson. We offer free consultations when you come to us to evaluate your case. In the unthinkable event of losing a loved one due to the effects of Xarelto, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit on your behalf. Please go here to learn more about the Xarelto lawsuit.