Xarelto: What Is It?
In recent studies the popular blood thinner Xarelto has been linked to harmful risks and side effects including severe internal bleeding, which can lead to serious injury and death. Also known by its generic name of rivrabaxon, Xarelto is an anticoagulent drug, which means it’s a blood thinner. Xarelto is an Xa inhibitor; as an Xa inhibitor the drug blocks thrombin, the chemical in the blood that helps blood to clot. If thrombin is blocked, the blood will not clot. For patients taking blood thinners, blocking thrombin is a good thing and as such the drugs are prescribed for this purpose. Patients who have had hip and knee replacement surgeries have been prescribed Xarelto and other blood thinners.
However, as already stated Xarelto has been linked to harmful risks and side effects. There have been reported cases of Xarelto side effect complications that have led to the hospitalization of a patient and in the worst case scenario this has led to a patient’s death. Xarelto’s side effects and harmful risks have seen the drug with two black box warnings attached to its name. These warnings are the strictest warnings that the FDA can give to a drug without the drug being recalled.
What Are The Side Effects Of Taking Xarelto?
Pulmonary embolism, deep vein thrombosis, gastrointestinal bleeds, and hemorrhages, have been the most commonly reported effects that individuals experience. An explanation of each of these side effects is as follows:
- Pulmonary Embolism: this is the most commonly reported Xarelto side effect. Pulmonary embolism is known as a blockage in one of the pulmonary arteries in someone’s lungs. Pulmonary embolism is caused by blood clots that travel to the lungs from the legs, in most cases. The symptoms of pulmonary embolism vary greatly. However common signs include, shortness of breath, chest pain, cough (that may produce bloody or blood-streaked sputum), dizziness or light headedness, fever, rapid or irregular heartbeat, excessive sweating, and leg pain or swelling or both.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Deep vein thrombosis, or DVT can be life threatening. It is caused by a blood clot in a deep vein. Deep vein clots normally occur in the lower leg or thigh. DVT symptoms may include swelling, pain, and tenderness.
- Gastrointestinal Bleeds: this is bleeding that starts in the gastrointestinal tract which can be life threatening. If gastrointestinal bleeding is suspected it will first appear as bloody bowel movements, vomiting blood, or black, tarry stools.
- Brain Hemorrhage: this a type of stroke caused by an artery in the brain that bursts and causes localized bleeding in the surrounding tissues. This type of bleeding kills brain cells. If a brain hemorrhage is suspected, symptoms appear as though the person is having a stroke. The individual develops weakness on one side of their body, has trouble speaking, or endures a sense of numbness. Usual activities become harder, and may lead to problems with walking or even falling.
The problem with taking Xarelto and having someone experience one of the above adverse effects is that there is no reversal agent. A medication that can reverse the effects of Xarelto and potentially minimize injuries, is what is know as a reversal agent. This is what makes Xarelto different from other blood thinners, such as Warfarin- they have reversal agents but Xarelto does not. Click here to learn more about the dangerous side effects of Xarelto.
Incidents Of Internal Bleeding In Indiana
The population for Indiana was 6,596,855 according to the 2014 census estimate. By comparing the number of prescriptions written for the United States at that time to the population of the individual cities and to Indiana as a whole, we are able to estimate the number of people who may have experienced serious side effects from taking Xarelto. Using this calculation we estimate that there were approximately 3,867 residents of Indiana who have experienced some sort of side effect while taking Xarelto.
Below are the five largest cities in Indiana:
- Indianapolis- population 843,393
- Fort Wayne- population 256,496
- Evansville- population 120,310
- South Bend- population 100,886
- Carmel- population 85,927
Estimated Bleeding Incidents Caused By Xarelto in Indiana Cities
- Indianapolis- 494
- Fort Wayne- 150
- Evansville- 71
- South Bend- 59
- Carmel- 50
How Do I Know If I Have A Legal Case Against Xarelto?
If any of the serious effects or adverse events mentioned above ring true for you or a loved one after having taken Xarelto, you may have a case against Xarelto. All over the country there are lawsuits being filed against Bayer and Johnson&Johnson on behalf of victims of Xarelto, and yours can be next. The emotional pain and injuries you suffered because of Xarelto, should be compensated for.
Our Indiana Xarelto Lawyers
Our team of attorneys are here to help families and indivduals throughout the country by providing relevant information on pending Xarelto litigation. We also as offer access to legal guidance for those who would like to file a complaint. Please contact our Indiana Xarelto Lawyers for a free consultation and case evaluation here.
To date, we have been contacted by people from all over the country who have either lost a loved one because of an internal bleed possibly linked to Xarelto or suffered an injury.
Contact us today for a free consultation on your legal options.